Saturday, January 3, 2009

Bitches Brew and the reputation that preceded it intimidated me for years. Only after much subsequent exposure to other heroic jazz players' fusion experiments was I ready for Miles'. It is arresting to me now, always challenging, but also funky and joyous.

The Marantz 1150 (75 watts/channel) is my current all around favourite amplifier, smooth, warm and authoritative.

The Dynaco combination has been a big surprise. Being an early transistor design, I thought there might be some glare and harshness. I couldn't have been more wrong. The overall balance & musicality is wonderful. On very full range speakers like the JBL L100s, the lowest bass is slightly rolled off compared to the Marantz, but on speakers like Advents, Boston A60s, and especially the Altec Model Ones, the ST-120/FM-5A combination sings!

Deep bass control isn't an issue with the Realistic STA-2080 (probably made by ONKYO). It's very conservatively rated at 80 watts per channel, and appears to be able to drive a truck. Under regular listening conditions (as opposed to live arena rock volumes), the advantage of a monster amp section is extra headroom available to give air and ambience to the stereo image. If you want a concert at home, combine this with the big studioLABs and break your lease!

e-mail me

No comments: