Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Marantz 2230



I haven't had one before. The first time I had a Marantz receiver this old, I didn't know that they weren't supposed to have those cool hex nut screws that later versions have. this is exactly how they came. This is a gorgeous sounding receiver. I'm told by people more knowledegible than me that these earlier models are capacitor coupled, producing a more tubelike midrange than later (also fantastic, like my much missed 2235B) units. It's in very good (not mint) condition, nice and clean, all lights working.
Ninety-four percent of the time, the big beefier (60 watts per channel and up) hardware isn't required (though last night the peak lights on the Marantz 1180 DC lit for the first time while listening to some Bruce Cockburn, of all people!), and the 2230 is perfect. With efficient speakers it will be fine with AC/DC too.
e-mail me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Listening to Kind of Blue and the sound is amazing. Thanks for a great amp.

Doug