Friday, September 26, 2008

MERAK ACOUSTICS M.5 Speakers


These little speakers give me joy!
I shouldn't be surprised. This is the second pair of Meraks I've been able to poke around in. The cabinets are beautifully made and heavily braced. The crossover components are very high quality, and they use Seas drivers, like the Missions. This pair uses the same tweeter as the 770s, with an excellent, very heavy magnet 6 1/2 inch woofer in a ported enclosure, a classic British style 2 way
The imaging is great and the sound is very neutral, with no artificial boominess in the bass (the cabinets in cheap speakers sometimes sing along in the midbass, creating a false perception of better bass performance). The Seas tweeter always impresses me: sparkling highs without ever sounding unnatural, on good recordings.
The woofer surrounds were in tatters when I got these speakers. The woofer is a standard 6 1/2 inch diameter, but the cone is smaller than average. Standard foam avilable to me was too long on the inside diameter, so I modified a set of new 8 inchers, spent hours, and they sound amazing!
e-mail me to arrange a listen!
These little babies will give you joy too!

No comments: