Saturday, June 12, 2010

Realistic Optimus 2B 1975

It may seem anticlimactic to be writing about such a modest speaker after a long break (no new Missions or JBLs!), but these are sweet little speakers from Radio Shack's great years. Made in Japan, heavy for their size, beautifully constructed and great walnut veneer cabinets. They sound really nice, comparable to my AR 4XAs, but with greater clarity (perhaps the ARs need new caps).

This site allows you to flip through Radio Shack catalogues from 1939 to 2005. Wow!




Email me.

4 comments:

GregorHz said...

Hi! I just acquired a pair of these and I was wondering if you knew what the output was? I can't seem to find that anywhere on the speakers themselves. Thanks!

Unknown said...


To succeed we must BELIEVE that we CAN.
It's a great pleasure to read your blog. Keep on sharing some kind of knowledge. Have a good day :)
imarksweb.net

Anonymous said...

I have owned a pair of these since they were brand new and still use them to this day. They were originally rated for 40 Watts peak, 20 watts RMS. I've been driving them with a 70 watt Marantz since day one and I'm sure I have overdriven them without damage plenty of times.

Anonymous said...

BTW these will sound much better if you replace the 3-in paper cone tweeter. I installed a set of Infinity foam dome tweeters.