Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Two pairs of JBLs!

And the day isn't over!

UPDATE:
Now it is. Of the two other speaker pairs I was expecting today, I've only got one I can tell you about (because the other is DOA on first plug-in), a sweet pair of Mission 70s, small six inch two way systems that have it all right from about 60 Hz all the way up, and don't try any tricks to give the false impression of going deeper than they do. On high stands they image really nicely (one of the common characteristics of the many Mission speaker I've heard). I'm going to put on Ella now.

More Update:
The JBL L88 Plus speakers sound great! It will take me a while to figure out how the midrange compares to the L100 (that is the same speaker with the addition of a dedicated midrange driver). Initially, enjoying my usual diet of jazz and blues, I'm just loving having the JBL sound (yes, there is one & there's also a Mission sound, and that's not a bad thing) back in house after a few long months. I know I haven't been suffering (in great part due to the Corals), but it still makes me happy.


ORIGINAL BLOG (I won't Make this distinction again anytime soon.)
I was expecting one pair, a set of L88 pluses. They are sounding good, except that one tweeter control pot is a bit noisy. The finish is walnut in pretty good shape, and will be beautiful after I sand and oil them. They look like these, but the finish is a little darker, and they don't have the midrange driver.

I was not expecting another pair of JBLs today, and am thrilled to have picked up a beautiful pair of L16s! Like my last pair, the eight inch woofers need to be refoamed. The cabinets are in decent shape and and will be beautiful by tomorrow (weather permitting).

I expect to have two more new sets to tell you about before I sleep tonight.

e-mail me

1 comment:

coal said...

Just came across your blog, very interesting for sure. Had a pair of Jbl L 150 back around 80 that I had bought new in Kitchener, I had moved out west around that time and had to sell them, but what a speaker. Drove them with a Luxman integrated with a Kenwood marble turntable. Cd was not out then lol.

Will check back often