Wednesday, November 19, 2008

Update

I'm picking up the bulbs for the 2226 tomorrow, it should light up tomorrow night.

I replaced the mismatched connectors on the latest JBL L36s with good 5 way binding posts today, redid the faded, mismatched grills in new black cloth. They look beautiful (as good as they sound). I will try to give them a light sand and oil tomorrow, but the weather doesn't look like it's going to cooperate. I'm going to have to set myself up in the garage soon, until spring.

I have a beautiful Yamaha integrated amp and tuner set, that I cleaned today (I listened to the amp dirty last week and it sounded great). The amp delivers 55 real watts/channel, has a beautiful silver face and cool analogue meters with that clean Yamaha white light and modernist design sensibility. The tuner is musical and cool, with matching meters. I got them missing their feet, and will take care of that tomorrow.

People have been asking to see pictures of the Merak M4s, and I'll try to take and post some tomorrow. They sound great, especially with the big Marantz 1150.

Speaking of Marantz, I was never too excited about wood sleeves. Especially with the black enamel metal cased integrated amps, I thought they were perfect (the woodgrain metal receiver cases I have mixed feelings about, and the textured black finish of the 2226 leaves me a bit cold, so it may end up in a wood sleeve...the texture is too contemporary). However, the 1150 looks very authoritative in it's massive wood enclosure and the grain and colour is gorgeous!

e-mail me!

No comments: