Friday, November 14, 2008

Merak M4 Update


I rebuilt all 4 passive radiators, and hooked them up. Wow! I loved the M3s, but the bigger cabinets, bigger woofer and extra passive radiators (the ones on the front are tuned with weights on the inside) all contribute to a bigger, more tactile soundfield. All the strengths are apparent, but in abundance! I hoped to sand and oil the cabinets today, but the porch I use for working (and as my photo background) is being rebuilt today, so that won't happen. Probably by tomorrow.
Please contact me to arrange to hear these babies!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi there, gorgeous speakers. Just found your site, really enjoying it. You have a lot of really good posts.
I am in the process of restoring my Merak M3's and was wondering how you dealt with the passives...I am having challenges due to all the foam is gone sticky.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Halli said...

I've had a pair of these for about 10 years, re-created the passive radiators using foamcore and standard surrounds, adding mass by gluing washers to the center of the passive radiator (inside). Since I had never seen what the original passives looked like, I added more mass to the rear-facing passive and somewhat less to the front so they have slightly different resonance frequencies. Love these speakers! The foams on the woofers finally gave up, so I re-foamed those about 5 months ago. The combination of all that cabinet volume, woofer size and the passive radiators, along with the sweet (I believe) Scanspeak tweeters... phenomenal on every type of music I have tried them on.