Tuesday, November 4, 2008

Image by Sound Dynamics Reference Two


I have seen a pair of these advertised on Craigslist and Kijiji about twice a week for months now and was intrigued. Many fine (if not always high end) speakers have come from this factory. The Energy 22 was a revelation to me when I first heard it in 1979 (and impulsively sold my Polk monitor 7s to buy them). The big Sound Dynamics rock monitors are famous for their bass and ability to play clean and really loud. The most well known versions had a silvery aluminum horn and bright yellow dome centre, and I'm told those tweeters are very desirable on eBAY.
Anyways, the Reference Twos are very well built with extensive internal bracing (including behind the woofer), and heavy for their size. The cabinet volume is very close to the Mission 770, the proportions are tall and elegant, and they will sound best on low stands (harder and harder to find- I sold my last pair against my better judgement with the JBL L36s). They are very neutral, image well and have surprising authority in the bass. They sound beautiful with the 25 watt per channel Sherwood S-7100, and open up nicely with more power. Classic british 2 way strengths, with a little more oomph for when you want to get the Led out!

No comments: