Saturday, December 27, 2008

My First Encounter With Dynaco

I've read some mixed opinions about the Dynaco ST-120 amp. One guy on Audiokarma thought it was the worst he'd ever heard. There are many who love it, and I may become one. The tube cage-like design warms me to it. The early transistor design amazes me with it's warmth and effortlessness. I haven't used it a lot yet, but will. It sounds great driving the Smaller Advents & Advent 1s, I will check it out with the JBL L88 Plus 12s soon (they had there non-factory tweeter surrounds removed, and the leads need to be resoldered). There is some technical information here. This amp runs a bit warm, but dissipates the heat through the funky cage. The one I have has a gold cage which I think may be repainted back to black. I'll check and make sure it's not a rare limited edition or some such thing first!
At the same time I got the ST-120, I got an FM-5A tuner, which having an auxiliary input, a volume control and audio out jacks, functions as a simple and clean preamp. The pair sound great, and if you don't require a phono stage (or have a separate one) could be perfect for you. e-mail me.




60 beautiful watts/channel!

No comments: