Friday, August 22, 2008

MARANTZ 2235B RECEIVER


This was produced during the golden age of Marantz. Designed in Sunnyvale, California and built with legendary quality and craftsmanship in Japan, Marantz are the Cadillac of receivers. Awesome retro styling (all lights have been replaced), clean inside and out, warm, rich sound, and a muscular 35 watts per channel, this makes speakers sing!
It amazes me that with modern digital input sources (high bitrate mp3s, high end cd players) this vintage of equipment can sound cleaner and more dynamic than the designers could have even imagined 30 years before!
No modern home theatre receiver will sound nearly this musical.
Email me!

2 comments:

The Reginator said...

I stumbled upon your old post. (Are you still blogging? I didn't go past this post.)
I purchased a 2235b in the summer of 1979 and it's still chugging along. The sound is wonderful and it can power my Realistic Nova 6 speakers while also pounding out tunes on a pair of huge home-built speakers.
A marvellous piece of equipment.

- Reg.

Drew said...

Some of the tuning dial looks brighter/darker in spots.
If you replaced the lights, the plastic housing that surrounds the dial and selector lights may be deformed (a common thing to happen with this series of receivers).

I had to replace the housing in my 2325, and it was a pain in the arse.