Sunday, October 21, 2012

Just Arrived. SAE 3022 integrated amplifier.


  From Davids Audio: "Another item you rarely see for sale, the 3022 was an early attempt by SAE to produce an integrated amplifier. Presumably to reduce engineering/manufacturing costs (I suppose), rather than developing a new product from scratch they merely tacked together a 3000 preamp and a 2200 amplifier, tied together with common sheet metal.
  This led to a completely unique and funky design - rather than having the inputs on the back panel like a conventional system, the inputs are tucked away in a slot on the side of the unit. If you look on the right side of the picture below, you can see the opening where the input jacks are located."

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting design, and nice looking...but damn those sliders!

buzz said...

When I was selling high-end audio at retail in the late 70's we had a few people ask us about this one. SAE's position was that it achieved integrated amplifier economy while providing pre/power amp separation. The "U" shape was billed as isolating the pre-amp stage. I sold a lot of Yamaha CA-1010s and 2010's against them.

Unknown said...

I had this amp and sounded great with a pair of ADS 710 speakers, it was just in the middle of Sansuis Au series and McIntoish MA amps. loved it!

Anonymous said...

I bought this Amp used at an estate sale several years ago and I think it sounds wonderful with my KLH 23 speakers and Dual 701 table! The contacts on the switches are def the weak point as the amp ages...but overall it looks cool and sounds great!

Moose 925 said...

I own one. Bought it at High FI Haven in New Brunswick New Jersey around 1973. I have the original receipt. Had the buttons repaired well over 20 years ago. Never used it after that. In fact I never opened it and is it's original Box. Enjoyed many years with it.

Bruce